The best thing that can happen when you are in a leadership position is to have somebody step up and take on a role voluntarily instead of having to seek someone out. It is even better when it is unprompted. I am an executive for my fraternity with my responsibilities surrounding professional business events for our members. Each executive has a committee to help put on events.
A few weeks ago a newly pledged member approached me about putting on an event that would combine professionalism and a philanthropic cause. We have gone back and forth and decided that he would head up putting together a charity golf tournament with my full support and assistance. As a veteran member and executive, I have more access to fraternity resources and experience in hosting events to make sure the event is a success. Today we finalized my role in the event (not to be put on for 10 months or so) and I have provided him with advice on how to get the ball rolling. I was able to empower him to take a vision he had for creating an event so that our members can benefit the most while making things better for our community and turn it into a reality. Well, almost a reality. It is just a start, but I have a good feeling about this kid and what is in store for this event.
No comments:
Post a Comment